Wednesday, July 7, 2010

My Mom's Shepherd's Pie

I learned that "Shepherd's Pie" categorizes any meat and vegetable combination with mashed potatoes on top...so, pretty much anything you want to throw in the pan. Here is my mom's version that I grew up with.

Ingredients:

1 lb. ground beef
2 c. instant mashed potatoes
1 pkt. brown gravy mix
1 c. water
frozen peas
1 1/2-2 c. cheddar cheese

Directions:

1. Brown meat. Drain any fat and season as desired. While the meat is cooking, prepare the mashed potatoes.

You can use real potatoes, and boil and mash them before starting anything else. I am all about making this as easy as possible, so instant mashed it is.


2. When the meat is fully cooked, add gravy mix, 1 cup of water, and as many frozen peas as you would like. Stir until all gravy is mixed it. Leave on burner until everything is heated through.


3. Pour the meat/peas mixture into the bottom of a 5 qt. casserole dish (9x13 cake pan works just as well, too).


4. Add mashed potatoes and spread evenly over the meat.


5. Add cheese.


You can grate it if you like. Again, I'm all about making it quick and easy, so I slice it for quicker application. :)

6. Bake at 350 degrees until the cheese is melted and bubbly.


I like it a little crunchy around the edges...some gravy will also "leak" up.


from the kitchen of laura w.

1 comment:

  1. k - I LOVE seeing different recipes of the same thing. I've always done this with canned green beans in place of peas, and tomato soup with salsa for the sauce base. How fun to see the differences! K - but the idea with instant potatoes - genius, I always make mine from scratch and that would sure save time. I also like how you used cheese slices instead of grated cheese - so much faster.

    ReplyDelete